Thursday, October 27, 2011

Shopping day in Caen

Today the girls decided to give Don a golf day--provided he drop us off in the town nearby. This town was called Caen, about 30 minutes from Kathleen's place. Accordingly, we shopped for 5 hours while he golfed. When asked later if we'd visited the castle in Caen, we replied that the only way we would have noticed a castle was if it were located between the H & M and the Sephora stores.




Isabella's new shoes (on the left) and Cathie's old ones.



Shopping district in Caen

I forgot to mention that Don got a hole in one on the Omaha Beach course yesterday. It was on a 171 yard par 3, 10th hole, with a 5 iron (he has this memorized). Here's a photo of the plaque on the 6th hole commemorating the D-Day landings. There's a German bunker underneath.



I'm typing this blog in the car on the way to Vimy Ridge. We might even pop into Belgium for a beer at lunch. Marty said we should visit Ypres where my grandfather fought during WW1. Apparently, the Canadian soldiers called it "Wipers."



Posted using BlogPress from my IPad.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fabulous vacation so far!

    While living in St-Pierre, I had a roommate who was from Caen. Very nice girl. And I saw some beautiful photos of the city.

    Isn't Paris magnifique? I think the Arc de Triomphe was more amazing for me than the Tour Eiffel. Regardless, it's a gorgeous city; looks like the shopping was spectacular too!

    If you pop over to Belgium, let me know! And fill us in on what beer you choose from the thousands available in the country.

    Last but not least, the monuments are amazing. We enjoyed seeing the grounds at Beaumont-Hamel in the northern part of France. All very moving and emotional. I am sure you enjoyed seeing Vimy Ridge and the tour that Kathleen gave. I hope she's having a wonderful time in Europe.

    And I hope Don's enjoying the golf! Even if he doesn't speak French! :)

    Enjoy the remainder of your holiday. We'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete